Who are we and what do we do?

Welcome to CNC Building Control.

CNC provides the building control functions for the Local Authority areas of South Norfolk, King’s Lynn and West Norfolk, Fenland, Norwich City and Broadland. Building Control is a statutory requirement on the vast majority of building projects (including internal alterations and conversion works) irrespective of whether planning permission has been required or not.

It is the process of ensuring projects are completed in accordance with the Building Regulations and exists to ensure that the safety and well-being of any person is not compromised by changes or work that takes place.

In short, CNC are able to support you through your project from pre-planning and commencement through to project completion and issuing of certification.

We look forward to working with you.

Important Notices

1: New Building Control Process For Highrise Residential Buildings

High-rise residential buildings (HRBs) are defined as “residential buildings 18 metres tall or higher, or at least 7 storeys tall, with two or more residential units”. 

From 1st October 2023, any applications for new HRBs, including those formed by change of use or by adding additional storeys, must be made to the new Building Safety Regulator rather than Local Authority Building Control Body / Private Approved Inspectors.  This also applies to major alterations to existing HRBs.

In addition, all existing HRBs, whether being altered or not, must be registered with the Regulator.

Further information can be found at:



As of 1st October 2023, CNC will charge an hourly rate of £83.00 to the BSR as the BSR Building Control Hourly Rate.  This rate will apply to all HRB related work directed under the BSR and apply in South Norfolk, Fenland, Broadland, Norwich, King’s Lynn and West Norfolk local authorities.


We can help you in numerous ways, including:

2: New Requirement For Full Plans, Building Notices And Initial Notices For New Dwellings – Part R Infrastructure for electronic communications CONNECTIVITY PLAN

A connectivity plan is required ‘up front’ for both Full Plans & Building Notice applications, of new dwellings, to be valid.

For your convenience we have included on this page, 2 commonly used formats of a blank connectivity plan, which you can download and use.

Please submit a completed connectivity plan with your application.

This has been made a requirement by amending Regulation 13 (building notices) & Regulation 14 (full plans) to require a connectivity plan, or exemption, to be provided when the application is made.

It only applies to new build dwellings or new build buildings containing dwellings (eg flats).

Similarly, The Approved Inspector Regulations have been amended to say that the Initial Notice must include a connectivity plan (or exemption).

Advice from LABC and Government (DLUHC) is that failure to provide a connectivity plan, or details of exemption, is grounds for rejecting the Initial Notice under Ground 1 of the Approved Inspector Regulations.

  • Click the button to download the Connectivity Plan Form Download