Work exempt from building regulation approval
It is not necessary to submit an application to Building Control for the following type of building works as they are exempt from the Building Regulations:
- A porch at ground level, provided that it does not contain a WC, the total floor area does not exceed 30m², the existing front door is retained in its existing position and the existing house heating system is not to be extended into the porch.
- A conservatory at ground level, provided that the total floor area does not exceed 30m², at least 75 per cent of the roof is transparent (i.e. glazed), at least 50 per cent of the external walls are transparent and separation is maintained between it and the rest of the living accommodation (i.e. any doors or windows remain). The conservatory must not obstruct ladder access to any second floor escape windows and the existing house heating system must not be extended into it
- A carport at ground level, provided that the total floor area does not exceed 30m² and it is open on two sides
- A veranda, loggia or covered way at ground level, with a total floor area not exceeding 30m²
- A single storey detached building with a floor area not exceeding 15m², provided that it does not contain any sleeping accommodation
- A single storey detached building with a floor area between 15m² and 30m², provided that it does not contain any sleeping accommodation and if constructed within one metre of any boundary is built of non-combustible material such as bricks or blocks
- A greenhouse, provided that it is not used for retailing or exhibiting
- Agricultural buildings, (Including those used for horticultural, fruit growing, the growing of plants for seed and fish farming, but not those used for retailing, packing or exhibiting) provided that no part of the building is used as a dwelling, no part of the building is less than one and a half times its height from any part of a building that contains sleeping accommodation and the building is provided with a fire exit not more than 30 metres from any point within the building
- Temporary building, provided that it does not remain erected for more than 28 days.