I want to install or replace electric wiring. Do I need permission?

Some minor work does not require permission, however any electrical work will have to be carried out and certified by a competent electrician or certified by a competent electrician at the relevant installation stages and an application will be required unless your electrician is also a member of a Competent Persons Scheme and is able to self-certify the work.

Your contract with the electricity distribution company has conditions about safety which must not be broken. In particular, you should not interfere with the distribution company’s equipment which includes the cables to your consumer unit or the cables up to and including the separate main isolator switch if provided.

It is important to toremember that if you electrcian is not a member of a competent persons scheme you will need to submit an application.

< Back to FAQ's